Balban-The Protector from Mongol of Delhi Sultanate
The actual name of the bullabah was ‘Bahauddin’ and he was a member of ‘Chahalgani’ Dal formed by Iltutmish.
Balban was born in a Turkish family of Ilbari Tribe.He became Sultan of Delhi with the name ‘Gayasuddin Balbal’, after the death of Nasiruddin Mahmud in 1265 AD. He has forcibly destroyed the ‘Tarkan-e-Chalagani’.
Balban and Mongol History
- Balban protected the Delhi Kingdom from the Mongol invasion.
- He introduced the practice of ‘Sijada’ (sitting on knee) and ‘pybos’ (kissing sultan’s feet) in the court.
The last ruler of the Gulam dynasty was Shamsuddin Kaimurs
- Balban welcomed Halaku’s representative in 1259
- In the court of Balban, the famous poet Amir Khusro used to live.
- Balban organised an efficient system of espionage as an instrument of his despotism.
Balban reconstituted the military department ‘Diwan-e-Arj’.
- Balban re-organised his army and made it strong and efficient.
- He appointed Imad-ul-Mulk who was a competent vigilant officer, as the Diwan- i-Ariz (minister of war) in charge of the army.
- Balban’s health gradually declined after the shock of his son’s death.
- He was old and was at quite advance stage of his life. Realizing his end he summoned his youngest son Bughra Khan, the governor of Bengal to Delhi.