3 ASEAN Countries Visits by PM Narendra Modi [5-Day Visit]
Date: May 30, 2018
Nations Visited: Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a Five-day visit of 3 major ASEAN nations from 29th May 2018. He signed a number of memorandums of understanding(MoU) to increase bilateral relations between these countries. These were meant to strengthen the diplomatic and strategic cooperation between India and these countries. This is part of the country’s continued Look East policy.
PM Modi Visits ASEAN Country Indonesia
PM Modi’s visit began with a ceremonial wreath laying at the Kalibata National Heroes Cemetery. India had delegation level talks with President of Indonesia Joko Widodo. MoUs were signed in the sectors of defense, space technology, scientific and technological cooperation, railways, health, medicine, public administration. The main points of bilateral MoUs are as below:
- Both countries agreed that the occasion of 70 years of diplomacy between them should be marked. The two countries also agreed to increase cooperation in kite designing as part of the government-to-business and business-to-business contact.
- India’s Archaeological Survey and Taman Wisata Candi Borobudur, Prambanan and Ratu Boko of Indonesia agreed to work together. The objective was to work together on the restoration of Prambanan Temple and the Taj Mahal.
- A MoU to facilitate study and research of Indonesian students at IIIT Bangalore was also signed.
The visit to Indonesia was PM Modi’s first official visit to the country.
2nd ASEAN Country Malaysia Visited by PM Modi
PM Modi met the newly elected 92-year old PM, Mahathir Mohammad. They discussed a number of issues central to Indo-Malaysian ties in trade and investment. The visit was a brief stopover on his way to Singapore. It was aimed at cementing relations with the newly elected leader for future partnership.
ASEAN Country Singapore Visit by PM Modi
PM Modi met with President Halimah Yacob. Delegation level talks were held with PM Hsien Loong. The focus of the talks was more advanced here. PM Modi stated that Fintech, skill development, urban planning and artificial intelligence were the thrust areas. He also visited the Nanyang Technological University(NTU) to interact with university students.
GK Quiz on ASEAN Visit by PM Modi
- The visit to Indonesia was PM Modi’s first official visit to the country.
- Mahathir Mohammad at 92 became the oldest head of government in the world following his victory in May 2018.
- Indonesia and India agreed that the occasion of 70 years of diplomacy between them should be marked.
- Prime Minister Modi’s visit of these countries is the part of the country’s continued Look East policy.
- ASEAN is the short form of Association of South East Asian Nations.
- ASEAN was formed on 8th August 1967 by Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and Thailand.
- Currently, it has 10 members and 2 observers.
ASEAN was formed on 8th August 1967 by Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and Thailand.