2018 FIFA World Cup [21st] begins in Russia | Quiz on FIFA World Cup
2018 FIFA World Cup started from 14th June in Russia. It’s a 21st FIFA World Cup. Russia won the hosting rights of this tournament on 2nd December 2010. The final match of this world cup will be held on 15 July 2018. It’s the 11th time when FIFA world cup is being organized in Europe. Also, first time FIFA World Cup is organizing in two continents – Europe and Asia.
32 national teams are participating in 2018 Football World Cup. 2 Countries – Panama and Iceland are joining the first time in FIFA World Cup tournament. FIFA World Cup 2018 winner will also qualify for the 2021 FIFA Confederations Cup.
It’s the 11th time when FIFA world cup is being organized in Europian continent.
First FIFA World Cup  in Uruguay
The first soccer World Cup was held in 1932 in Uruguay. Uruguay was the first ever World Cup champions, defeating Argentina in the finals. Not many European teams participated because of the long and costly trips across the Atlantic.
The dispute over the amateur status
Fifa and the Olympic committee were involved in a heated dispute after the creation of the World Cup. IOC wanted to keep the Olympics only for amateur players. As a result, football was not included in the list of sports in 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles.
The first FIFA World Cup was held in 1932 in Uruguay. Uruguay was the winner of this world cup.
How Many Teams in FIFA World Cup
Between the years of 1934 and 1978, it was a 16 team competition. In 1938, Austria was incorporated into Nazi Germany making it only 15 teams. In 1950, India, Scotland, and Turkey pulled out of the tournament making it only 13 teams. The participating nations went up to 24 in 1982 and finally 32 in 1998. The current tournament has 32 teams.
Teams with most titles in FIFA World Cup
Brazil has won the World Cup the most number of times – five. They won in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002. They are the only team that has won the Cup twice in a row. Germany and Italy each have four titles. Argentina won two titles, one under its most famous footballer Diego Maradona. France, England, and Spain each have one title each.
Most goals scored in FIFA World Cup
German player Miroslav Klose has the most goals in World Cup history – 16. Brazilian legend Ronaldo is close behind with 15. Pele actually stands fifth with 12 goals only.
Why did India withdraw from the 1950 World Cup?
India had lost to France in the 1948 Olympics by 2-1 and had drawn a lot of attention. They had played barefoot. They earned an automatic spot in the 1950 World Cup from which they withdrew. No official cause is known but it is clear that the Indian Football Federation did not take participation seriously. The trip could not be arranged even though Fifa agreed to bear the cost.
GK Quiz on FIFA World Cup
- The first FIFA World Cup was held in 1932 in Uruguay. The winner was also the Uruguay only.
- Brazil has won the highest 5 times the FIFA World Cup. They won in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002.
- Brazil is the only team that has won the Cup twice in a row.
- German player Miroslav Klose has won the highest number of goals (16 times) in World Cup history.
- Brazilian legend Ronaldo is close behind with 15.
- The first World Cup after the war in 1950 was won by Uruguay. They defeated Brazil in a famous win.
- Pele is the great Brazilian footballer. He stands 5th with 12 goals in FIFA World Cup history. He was named as a player of the Century by FIFA.
- 32 Teams are participating in FIFA world cup 2018.
- Next to FIFA world cup (22nd) will be held in 2022 in Qatar between 21st November to 18th December.
Brazil has won the highest 5 times the FIFA World Cup so far. Let’s be a regular visitor for more GK Quiz on FIFA World Cup.