3rd September 2017 proved to be a shocking day when Prime Minister Narendra Modi brought changes in the portfolios of 32 ministers. The Prime Minister not only changed the portfolios but also introduced nine new ministers during the third major Cabinet reshuffle. The most remarkable move by the Prime Minister was elevating Nirmala Sitharaman as the Defense Minister.
Some important outcomes of the cabinet:
- Nirmala Sitharaman was declared as the Defense Minister, who is the second woman to hold the post after Indira Gandhi.
- Before handling this portfolio, Nirmala Sitharaman was handling the portfolio of Minister of State for Commerce.
- The Prime Minister introduced new ministers, namely; Shiv Pratap Shukla, Anantkumar Hegde, Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Virendra Kumar, Raj Kumar Singh, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Hardeep Singh Puri, Alphons Kannanthanam and Satya Pal Singh from the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Dharmendra Pradhan would now be looking after the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship as he also continues to serve as the Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Nitin Gadkari was given the portfolio of the Ministry of Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation as he continues with Union Transport Ministry.
- The portfolio of Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports was announced to Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
- The charge of Minister of Water Resources was taken from Uma Bharti, while she continues as the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The portfolio of Minister of Railways was taken from Suresh Prabhu and was declared to Piyush Goel, who would parallelly handle the Ministry of Coal too.
- Suresh Prabhu was appointed as the Union Minister of Commerce. He resigned from the Railways due to the critical train disasters.
- The title of Cabinet Minister was given to Muqtar Abbas Naqvi as he would also continue with the designation of a Minister of Minority Affairs.