Indian Women’s hockey team gave a memorable moment to India by winning the Asia Cup 2017 title on 5th November 2017. The final was played between India and China. Indian women’s team won the match by 5-4 in the shoot-out in the final match. The final hockey match was held in Kakamigahara, a city located in the Southern part of Japan.
The women’s hockey team brought the moment of proud to India after 13 years, as the first time the title of winners was received in the year 2004. The victory also reserved a berth of team India for the 2018 Hockey World Cup.
Some highlights of the memorable Asia Cup match:
- During the halftime of the finale, both the teams were at 1-1.
- Navjot Kaur from the Indian team took the lead by scoring the first score in the 25th
- Tiantian Luo from the team of China equalized the scoreboard by converting a penalty corner in the 47th
- When India faced a penalty, Rani successfully scored twice, while Lilima Minz, Navjoy, and Monika were able to score a single goal.
- The woman of the match title was given to Monika Malik.
- The goalkeeper of the tournament title was given to Savita Punia.
Key points about Hockey Asia Cup:
- The Asia Hockey Federation governs the Asia Hockey Cup, which is an international hockey tournament for both men and women.
- The concept and the ASHF both came into existence in the year 1982.
- The first tournament of ASHF was held in the year 1985.
- The team from South Korea has been the most successful team with four victories by Men’s team and three by Women’s team.
- India has reached the finals most of the times, where Men’s team ranks eight times while Women’s team ranks five times in the competition.