President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated a five-day festival here in Assam called the Namami Brahmaputra river festival on 31st March 2017 and was of the view that the state government makes it a regular event. Mukherjee inaugurated the program by lighting a ceremonial lamp at the Kachamari Ghat near Fancy Bazar in Guwahati.
Highlights of Namami Brahmaputra Festival:
- The Government of Assam developed the Namami Brahmaputra festival to strengthen the bonds among various communities of the State.
- The festival will be celebrated in 21 districts of the State that are located along the Brahmaputra in its entire stretch from Sadiya to Dhubri.
- During the festival, Assam’s true potential in trade, tourism, and cultural opportunities will be displayed to the outside world.
- The festival includes a soulful glorification of river Brahmaputra along with various other attractions like indigenous sports, local food, an exhibition of organic tea, display of handloom and handicrafts, cultural evenings, film festival and business meetings among others.
- The conclusion of the event will be equally spectacular with a grand closing ceremony on 4 April 2017.
- Namami Brahmaputra festival is claimed to be the biggest river festival of India.
Significance of river Brahmaputra
- Brahmaputra river flows through the state of Assam which is called to be the lifeline of the state. It is originated in Tibet.
- The national waterways, specially NW2 and NW16 are the drivers of economic development and prosperity.
- If these waterways are used to its fullest, then it will make Assam the center of India-ASEAN collaboration by attracting foreign investments.