Born: 7 November 1954
Profession: Film Actor, Director, and Producer
Achievements of Kamal Hassan:
- Kamal Hassan, a popular Indian Film Actor, producer, director, screenwriter, playback singer, lyricist, choreographer, dancer, and philanthropist. He was born in Paramakudi, Madras state, India.
- He works primarily in Tamil Film. In 1960, he started his career as a child artist in a Tamil film Kalathur Kannamma. He made his Bollywood debut with Ek Duuje Ke Liye in 1981.
- Haasan also appeared in Anbe Sivam alongside close friend, Madhavan, in a film he was claimed to have ghost-directed. Priyadarshan, who started the film departed allowing commercial director Sundar C make a film unknown to his usual genre; furthermore the film also preached views of atheism, which Haasan is renowned for following. Anbe Sivam told the story of Nallasivam, enacted by Haasan as an idealist, social activist and communist, whose past is poignant and present moving.
He has received National Film Award for Best Actor for Moondram Piral (1983), Nayakan (1988) and Indian (1997).
- He was awarded Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Saagar (1986), Best Actor-Tamil for Kuruthipunal (1996), Indian (1997) and Hey Ram (2001), for Malayalam film- Kanyakumari (1975) and Eeta (1979), for Kannada film- Pushpaka Vimana (1988). He is the proud recipient of Padma Shri in 1990 and Padma Bhushan in 2014 by the Govt. of India.
- His success in Kuruthipunal, was followed by his third National Film Award for Best Actor in Indian. Playing dual roles of a freedom fighter and his untrustful son, the film also won Haasan regional awards and plaudits for his portrayal in the blockbuster. Haasan’s performance was described as “superb” by critics, who also dubbed the “The biggest film ever made on the Indian Screen”.