Birthday anniversary of Chinmayananda
Date of Birth: 8th May 1916
Date of Death: 3rd August 1993
Known for: a Spiritual master and founding the Chinmaya mission
Chinmayananda is a spiritual master who seeded Vedic teachings into the minds of people. He was a great teacher who worldwide toured to instill the Indian culture particularly Upanishads and Vedas. He held a spiritual movement all along.
Balakrishna Menon (later known as Chinmayananda) was born in Eranakulam, Kerala. He was born to vadakke kuruppathu Kuttan Menon and Parakutti Amma.
He completed his schooling at Shree Rama Verma high school and Vivekodayam school. He has FA from Maharaja’s college(Eranakulam) B.A from St.Thomas college (Trichur), postgraduation in literature and law from Lucknow university into his treasured education.
Chinmayananda’s Contribution and Achievements:
- He joined hands for the freedom movement with his greatest ability.
- As a journalist, he raised sensitive issues with Grace. He upheld the poor and their problems faced in the society through his articles.
Chinmayananda started his career by writing articles to “The Hindu” newspaper.
- Balan took to Sanyas under the guidance of Sivananda on 25th February 1949.
- Chinmayananda underwent deeper study into Vendas under the tutelage of Sivananda.
- His first lecture series was in December 1951 at a Ganesha temple, Pune.
- In the year 1965, he started a world tour covering cities across 18 countries. These countries included Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, and others.
- His focus was on uplifting spiritual quotient in each person. Surrendering to Lord is the only way to do so.
- Chinmayananda established Chinmaya mission.
- He inaugurated the nursery school in Kerala.
On the eve of Chinmayananda’s birthday, Prime minister Narendra Modi introduced Commemorative Coin. This was released in 2015 to mark his birth anniversary.
- He put forth his blessings to start Chinmaya mission hospital in 1970.
- He published many books in multitude languages.
- Hinduism today, a USA based magazine conferred him with the Hindu Renaissance award in 1992. They awarded him as the Hindu of the year.