On the birth anniversary of PM Modi on 17th September 2017, the BJP government of the state, during a visit from BJP President Amit Shah announced a Housing scheme in the insurgency-affected village of Ulihatu in Khunti district of Jharkhand. In the presence of CM Raghubar Das, the BJP President announced that the scheme aims to commemorate the sacrifices of the tribal freedom fighters like Birsa Munda who belonged to Ulihatu, by providing decent housing to his descendants.
Other villagers are living in row houses and the descendants of other freedom fighters from the region like Nilamber-Pitamber, Siddo Kanu, Jatara Jan Bhagat would also be provided suitable housing in a bid to provide basic amenities to the inhabitants of the region.
KEY POINTS OF SHAHEED GRAM VIKAS YOJANA:
- 136 pucca houses comprising of 2 rooms measuring 8 feet by 9, verandah, bathroom and toilet is the proposed structure of the house. Some members of the Gram Sabha demanded four
- Adjoining facilities like adjacent roads, drainage system, sanitization and community buildings are also planned as part of the basic amenities to be provided in the scheme.
- Cabinet has proposed a budget inlay of 30 crores for the development project.
- The scheme would be coordinated by the Welfare Ministry of the Jharkhand State
HIGHLIGHTS OF BIRSA MUNDA:
- He was the leader of the Munda tribal rebellion of 1895 which was launched in retaliation of the British interference in the political and religious affairs of the tribal people.
- The British project to transform the traditional agrarian system of the Mundas into a feudal system which would alter the tribal way of life was a chief point of
- He was a folk hero and religious leader of the Munda tribe and claimed to have many divine powers.
- He was proficient in guerrilla warfare and ambushed many British fleets before being captured in 1900. He was sentenced to death but died before in jail suffering from Cholera.