The 17th of August, 2017, brought a black day to the lives of people living in America when the place experienced the most expensive disaster. According to the forecast of AccuWeather, the Americans faced a horrible hurricane which was named as “Harvey” that brought havoc in Louisiana and Texas on the Southeast of US. The disaster is expected to bring a total loss of USD 190 billion, that is nearly 1 percent of the total GDP of the nation.
Facts about Hurricane Harvey:
- This disastrous Hurricane was the first one to bring landfall in the US, after Wilma that came in 2005 that is nearly after 12 years.
- The four-day Hurricane brought a catastrophic flood to the state, among which various areas received rainfall of more than 40 inches over Texas.
- Harvey is noted as the wettest tropical cyclone in the US, which peaked up to nearly 51.88 inches.
- The flood destroyed thousands of homes, nearly 30000 people were displaced, and around 17000 or more were rescued.
- The death list of people who died in the Hurricane Harvey reached to nearly 66 deaths, still counting on more.
Economic effects of Hurricane Harvey:
- The Hurricane has brought losses that would have a great impact on each American along with the GDP growth of US.
- The Federal Reserve is being forced by the deadly effects of the Hurricane to postpone the changes in the rate of interest for the year.
- The disaster of the Hurricane has cut off the economic growth of the States in half than the predicted numbers.
- The effects of the storm would be seen on every minor and major aspect like food, gas, prices of various shopping items, jobs, and much more.
- The standing waters of the storm can lead to health issues due to the rapid growth of mosquitoes.