The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust was bestowed for the 11th successive time, the Rajbhasha Kirti Puruskar for the year 2016-17. The second place in ‘B’ region of the Boards and Autonomous Bodies category was awarded to JNPT. The annual awards were imparted on the occasion of ‘Hindi Divas’ on 14th September 2017. The award was given out by the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind and was received by the Deputy Chairman of the Trust Shri Neeraj Bansal.
HIGHLIGHTS OF RAJBHASHA KIRTI PURASKAR:
- This award was first given out in 1986 as the Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Puruskar by the Department of Official Language in the Ministry of Home Affairs. The awards were rechristened as the Rajbhasha Kirti Puruskar from the financial year 2015-16.
- These awards are one out of the two awards given out on the occasion of Hindi Divas, celebrated on 14th September each year; the Indian Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi as the official language of the Union of India.
- The other award given out is ‘Rajiv Gandhi Rashtriya Gyan-Vigyan Maulik Pustak Lekhan Puraskar’ which was also rechristened as “Rajbhasha Gaurav Puraskar” from 2015-16.
- The different categories which are awarded the Rajbhasha Kirti Puruskar are Ministries/Departments, Public Sector Undertakings, Boards/Autonomous Bodies, Nationalized Banks, Town Officials Language Committee, and in-house Hindi Magazines.
HIGHLIGHTS OF JAWAHARLAL NEHRU PORT:
- Also called the “Nhava Sheva” port, it was established in 1989 as a ‘satellite port’ to the oldest part of India, Mumbai Port to decongest the heavy traffic which prevailed there.
- But in time it became an independent port, the biggest container handling port in India handling 55% of all containers managed by all major ports in India.
- It is included in the list of the world’s 35 top container port.