The biggest news agency of India, Press Trust of India held its 69th Annual General Meeting on 7th September 2017 and announced the election of Viveck Goenka as its new Chairman. The election of Viveck Goenka was carried out during the Board Meeting of the agency which also voted to elect N. Ravi to the post of Vice Chairman. Both the elected persons are stalwarts from the media industry; Viveck Goenka is the Chairman and Managing Director of the Express Group while N. Ravi is the former Chief Editor of the Hindu. Goenka takes over the mantle from Riyad Mathew who is a member of the management of Manorama while Ravi succeeds Goenka himself who was Vice Chairman of the group till now.
HIGHLIGHTS OF VIVEK GOENKA:
- He heads the express Group as Chairman and MD. The Express Group manages the publication of The Indian Express, Financial Express in English, Loksatta in Marathi, Jansatta in Hindi and various other online news websites.
- He studied engineering but now manages his family publishing business.
- He also currently holds the post of Director of Indian Newspaper Society which aims to act as the central organization of Press of India, Myanmar(Burma) and Sri Lanka(Ceylon) and its history could be traced to 1927.
HIGHLIGHTS OF PRESS TRUST OF INDIA:
- It is the largest news agency in India with its Headquarters in New Delhi.
- The birth of PTI took place as Associated Press of India in 1905 by KC Roy. Its operations were taken over by Reuters, the British news agency soon after. PTI was registered in Madras in 1947 took over API operations in 1949.
- The seat of Chairman is an annually rotating seat amongst the Board members of the group.
- The Chief Executive Officer manages the routine activities of the agency.
- Currently, it dominates 90% of the news agency market share.