29th of October 2017 brought a new record to the Indian cricket team when the Indian skipper became the sixth Indian cricket player for completing 9000 ODI runs. Virat Kohli was declared as the sixth fastest player in completing 9000 One-day international runs while playing the third and the final ODI held in Kanpur against New Zealand.
Some highlights of the ODI series against New Zealand:
- India won the series by 2-1, while in the final match, India defeated New Zealand by six
- Rohit Sharma was declared as the Man of the Match.
- The captain of Indian team, Virat Kohli, was declared as the Man of the Series.
- The pair of Kohli and Sharma was declared as the first pair that achieved double century partnership as they added 230 runs for the second wicket.
Key Highlights of Virat Kohli records:
- Virat Kohli was declared as the sixth Indian who completed 113 runs individually for completing 9000 ODI runs in the 37th
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni achieved the milestone of 9000 ODI runs in the year 2016.
- Other Indian players who have achieved the landmark priory are Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Mohammad Azharuddin and Sourav Ganguly.
- Internationally, Virat Kohli ranks 19th among the batsman to break the record of fastest 9000 ODI runs, by playing 202 innings.
- Kohli knocked out the records of both Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar with most international hundreds with 48 tons and 49 tons respectively.
- Virat Kohli has also surpassed the record of former Australian skipper, Ricky Ponting, that holds 31 tons on the list of ODI hundreds.
- Currently, Sachin Tendulkar is on the top of the list of most international hundreds with 49 tons.
- Apart from this, Virat Kohli is also the fastest Indian player to score 15000 International runs in the world.