It’s a decisive point in the world of Indian football with India playing host to any World Championship organized by FIFA for the first time. Not just as a host but India would also participate for the first time in any World Football Championship. The 17th FIFA U-17 Football World Cup would commence on 6th October 2017 in New Delhi and would see it final match on 28th October 2017 in Kolkata. India won the bid to organize the prestigious event in 2013 and with it becomes the 5th Asian nation to host it.
Highlights of FIFA U-17 Football World Cup:
- Total 24 teams would compete for the title, with 23 teams have qualified for their respective continental championships while India acquired its place in the squad on account of it being the host nation. The Asian Championship is called Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- The defending Champion Nigeria did not qualify the Confederation of African Football (CAF) championship and would be unable to compete to retain its title.
- It would be the inaugural participation of India, Niger and New Caledonia in the World Cup.
- The matches will be held across the country in 6 stadiums– New Delhi, Navi Mumbai, Kochi, Margao(Goa), Kolkata and Guwahati.
- India is a part of Group A along with USA, Ghana, and Columbia. All of its 3 group matches would be held in New Delhi.
- The knockout rounds of 16 would commence from October 16. Quarter-finals would be held on 21st and 22nd October, Semi-finals on 25th October and Final would be held on October 28th in Kolkata.
- The third-place match would also be held on the day of the final match.
- The overhaul of the stadiums and facilities would give a foundational push to Indian Football.
FIFA U-17 World Cup
- The biennial cup was instituted in 1985 as U-16 World Championship.
- In 1991, it was transformed into U-17 World Championship, renamed U-17 World Cup in 2007.
- Under 17 men’s national teams compete in their respective continental competitions to qualify for the World Cup.