Rafael Nadal of Spain, the world number 1 in the current men’s tennis rankings, won his 6th title of the year by defeating Nick Kyrgios of Australia to lift his 2nd China Open trophy, on 8th October 2017, in Beijing. He defeated the Australian with a comfortable 6-2,6-1 victory and looked menacing with his intense shots and negligible errors. He managed to save 22 out of the 25 breakpoints
Highlights of China Open:
- It was his 6th ATP title this year after he lifted two Grand Slams with the 10th French Open title and 3rd US Open title, earlier this year. The other ATP titles he won this year are ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid, ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo and Barcelona.
- In China Open history, Nadal has played the finals four times and lifted his first trophy in his debut at the event in 2005.
- It was the 75th singles trophy of his career.
Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP):
- Donald Dell, Bob Briner, Jack Kramer, and Cliff Drysdale established the organization in 1972 to see that the rights and interests of professional male tennis players are safeguarded.
- Since 2009, it has been rechristened as ATP World Tours.
- Its global headquarters is situated in London.
- Four events are organized as part of the ATP World Tour – ATP World Tour Masters 1000, ATP World Tour 500 series, and ATP World Tour 250 series. It also organizes some other events.
- The Olympics and the Grand Slams are not located under its umbrella but are instead organized by International Tennis Federation (ITF). Nevertheless, the ATP Ranking Points are awarded in these events.
- It comes up with a weekly ranking of professional tennis players.
- The women’s organization of similar nature is called Women’s Tennis Association(WTA).