Krishna Sobti is a renown Hindi litterateur. The Jnanpith Selection Board has chosen her for this year’s Jnanpith awards. The declaration was made on 3rd November 2017, by the Board members in New Delhi. Apart from Hindi literature, the novelist has given several inspiring novels under the name Hashmat. She has also published a collection of pen portraits of writers by the name Hum Hashmat also.
Some unknown facts about Krishna Sobti:
- Krishna Sobti was born in the year 1925 in Gujarat. However, currently, she lives in Pakistan.
- Her stories mostly bring out daring and fighter characters that are ready to stand for any challenges.
- Krishna’s work includes subjects like India-Pakistan partition, relationships between men and women, etc.
- She also works on serious subjects like the modification in the dynamics of Indian Society, deterioration of the human values, etc.
- Some of her popular works include Daar se Bichhudi, Zindaginama, Mitro Marjani, Badalon ke ghere, Dil-o-Danish, Gujarat Pakistan se Gujarat Hindustan, and Ai Ladki.
- Some of her famous works have also been translated into various Indian languages and International languages like English, Russia, and Swedish.
- The list of awards Krishna has been honored with is Hindi Akademi Awards, Maithili Sharan Gupta Samman, Shiromani Awards, Padma Bhushan Awards and Sahitya Akademi Fellowship.
Some highlights of Jnanpith Awards:
- The Jnanpith Awards initiated in the year 1965. However, the Bhartiya Jnanpith was established in the year 1961.
- Through the awards, Bhartiya Jnanpith honors the authors for their outstanding benefaction in the field of literature.
- The very first award was given to G. Sankara Kurup, a Malayalam writer, for his collection of poems in Odakkuzhal, that was published in the year 1950.
- The winner of the award was also provided with a cash of Rs. 1 lakh, which was increased to Rs. 11 lakh in the year 2015.