The cabinet appointed Hasmukh Adhia as the new finance sectary on 6th November 2017. Ashok Lavasa was the former finance secretary. His retirement was announced on last month. Department of personnel and training announced the new appointment. The senior most secretaries in the finance are known as the finance secretary. He has done the major task in his tenure very efficiently. He has also a prime role in GST implementation.
Background of Hasmukh Adhia:
- He is IAS officer form the 1981 batch from Gujrat Cadre. He has also done his Ph.D. in Yoga from Swami Vivekanand Yoga University, Bangalore.
- He has also done post-graduate program in Public Management and policy from IIM Bangalore. He has achieved the gold medal in the same course.
- Adhia served several key positions in the Gujrat government. Some of them are as below:
- Additional chief secretary finance
- Principal Secretary (Education)
- Principal Secretary (Transport)
- Principal Secretary of Chief Minister of Gujrat
- District Magistrate
- Collector of Bhavnagar and Surat district
- With the Union government, he served as the financial services secretary and revenue secretary.
- Ha has also worked as the Consultant of the Union National Industrial development organization (UNIDO).
- Other key roles served by the Hasmukh Adhia are:
- Executive director- Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam
- Managing Director – Gujrat Industrial Management Corporation
Highlights of Union ministry of finance departments:
The Union ministry of the finance comprises of five departments. The secretary of each department are as follows:
- Department of expenditure: Ajay Narayan Jha (IAS officer from batch 1982)
- Department of revenue: Hashmukh Adhia (IAS officer form the batch 1981)
- Department of Financial services: Rajiv Kumar (IAS officer form the 1984 batch)
- Department of Economy Affair: Subhash Chandra Garg (IAS officer for the 1983 batch)
- Department of public assets management and investment: Neeraj Kumar Gupta (IAS officer from batch 1982)