The Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, Mr. Ranil Wickremesinghe visited India from 25-29 April 2017. He met Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, and the two leaders discussed a range of bilateral issues and matters of mutual interest. Prime Minister Modi organized a lunch in honor of the Sri Lankan Prime Minister.
Highlights of Sri Lankan PM Visit:
- The discussions provided both sides an opportunity to review the progress in the implementation of the decisions taken during various high-level exchanges in the past two years or so.
- The two sides expressed their satisfaction at the progress in the implementation of the outcomes of these exchanges, which further strengthened the historically close and friendly relations between the two countries.
- The Indian side reassured to promote prosperity in the neighborhood nation and confirmed the continued support of India for transforming the vision of the Sri Lankan leadership for a stable, peaceful and prosperous Sri Lanka.
- The leaders appreciated the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding for ‘Cooperation in Economic ‘
- An early conclusion to the ongoing negotiations on the Economic and Technology Cooperation Agreement was also highlighted during the meeting.
- The Indian interlocutors asked for the continued support of the Sri Lankan Government for humanitarian treatment of Indian fishers.
- Both sides welcomed the meeting of the Joint Working Group on Fisheries held in Colombo in April.
- The Prime Minister of Sri Lanka reiterated the invitation to the Prime Minister for a visit to Sri Lanka on the coming Vesak Day.