On March 15, 2017, Biren Singh Nongthombam, leading the first-ever coalition government was sworn as the chief minister. Here are some key facts which you should be aware of related to the event. The BJP claimed the support of 32 MLAs in the assembly of total 60 members. Governor of Manipur Najma Heptulla handed over the invitation letter to Singh to form a government under his supervision at Raj Bhavan, Imphal.
Highlights of Manipur Legislative Assembly:
- Apart from Nongthombam, eight other ministers from BJP and alliance parties took oath in the oath ceremony function conducted at Raj Bhavan.
- Mr. Y. Joykumar has been assigned with the duties of deputy chief minister.
- Mr. IBobi Singh, the outgoing CM was also present at the oath ceremony.
- A note the worthy point is that Biren Singh had joined Bhartiya Janta Party last year after leaving INC.
- N. Biren Singh had achieved several identities for him even before he became the face of states such as a national level footballer, editor and founder of a daily newspaper and an ex-congress minister.
Now BJP had started new innings by breaking the monopoly of rules and regulations imposed by Okram Ibobi Singh who ruled over Manipur since 2002. It will be interesting to see how this new alliance coalition government will take the challenges and whether it will be to live up to the expectations of people and fulfill all that they have promised