South Korean President Park Guan- Hye was removed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court over a corruption scandal on March 10, 2017. It is the first time a democratically- elected president has ever been removed from office in South Korea.
Highlights of President’s Impeachment:
- South Korean President Park Guan- Hye was involved in wide- ranging corruption and cronyism scandal.
- She along with her long time confidante, Choi Soon- Sil are accused of conspiring to pressure companies, including Samsung, to make donations of large amounts of money to two non- profit foundations that was set up by Choi.
- Choi is accused of using the money of donation for personal interest.
- Park is also accused of allowing Choi illegal access to state affairs.
- Park allowed Choi to influence policy, including Seoul’s stance on North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.
- A fresh election will be held on May 9, 2017.
- South Korea’s government put the military and police on heightened alert after the court decision.