Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas, met Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Housing and lands of Mauritius, Showkutally Soodhun. Mr. Soodhun made a three-day state visit to India for the meeting of the Joint Committee on Hydrography and to strengthen India-Mauritius bilateral maritime cooperation.
Highlights Of the Vice PM of Mauritius visit:
- India and Mauritius enjoy old and time-tested ties which are rooted in culture and kinship which have grown from strength to strength in recent years. In the hydrocarbon sector, Mangalore Refineries and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL), India’s PSU refinery, has been supplying the Island nation’s petroleum product requirements since 2006. Both countries are presently working towards further deepening the engagement in the oil and gas sector.
- During the meeting, Shri Pradhan assured India’s continued support to Mauritius in meeting its energy requirement.
- Both Ministers expressed their keenness to work towards further strengthening the bilateral engagements in the hydrocarbon sector and make it one of the important areas of bilateral cooperation between both the countries.
- NBCC, a Navratna construction major under the Ministry of Urban Development, will execute a US $ 20 million (Rs.130 cr) social housing project in Mauritius. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in this regard was signed in the presence of Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu and the visiting Vice-Prime Minister and Minister of Housing and Lands Shri Showkutally Soodhun.
- As per the MoU, NBCC will undertake construction of 700 duplex type houses with 50 sq.mt net floor area with two bedrooms, living and dining rooms, kitchen, bathrooms and toilets each in 18 months in Dagotiere and Mare Tabac.
- The government of India has sanctioned a grant of US $ 353 million for execution of five projects in Mauritius including Metro Express Project, new ENT Hospital and supply of digital tablets to primary school children.