West Bengal defeated Goa and lifted the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time on 26th March, 2017 after Manvir Singh struck in the 119th minute for a 1-0 win and thus extending their domination in the premier domestic football tournament. This is the 71st edition of Santosh trophy. The Santosh Trophy is an association football knock-out competition contested by the regional associations and government institutions under the All India Football Federation (AIFF), the sport’s governing body in India. The Santosh Trophy was the top domestic championship in India before the initiation of the National Football League, in 1996, The tournament was started in 1941 and is named after the president of the Indian Football Association (West Bengal’s football association) at the time, Sir Manmatha Nath Roy Chowdhary of Santosh.
Highlights Santosh Trophy 2017:
- West Bengal is the most successful team in the Santosh trophy history by winning the title for 32 times.
- The West Bengal team lift the silverware after a gap of 6 years at the GMC Bambolim Stadium in Goa in this edition.
- Bruno Colaco (Goa) is awarded as the best goalkeeper in 2017 edition of Santosh trophy.
- Best Defender: Provat Lakra (Bengal)
- Best Midfielder: Cajetan Fernandes (Goa)
- Best Striker: Basant Singh (West Bengal)