On 1 March 2017, P K Purwar has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) for the duration of five years. Purwar was in charge of the post of MTNL CMD between June 2014 and June 2015.
Facts related to MTNL and P K Purwar:
- He is currently working as Director (Finance) in MTNL.
- The telecom public sector undertaking (PSU) had no full- time CMD since 30 May 2014 after A. K. Garg retired from the post.
- Purwar joined MTNL in May 2014.
- The PSU posted a consolidated net loss of Rs 2,012.24 crore for the year ended 31 March 2016, against that of Rs 2,901.16 crore at the end of March 2015.
- The firm, however, expects to post an operating profit at the end of the current financial year and turn profitable in 2017-18. By the end of March 2016, the company had 3,56,085 wireless subscribers and 3,504,088 land line users.
- MTNL was founded on 1 April 1986 and has about 45,000 employees.