Vice- President Shri M. Hamid Ansari completed a five-day tour to Rwanda and Uganda from 19 to 21 February and 21 to 23 February respectively. During the tour, three agreements were signed by India in Kigali in the fields of innovation, aviation, and visa regime.
Highlights of Vice President visits:
- It was the first high- level visit from India to Rwanda.
- According to the signed agreements, Rwanda Air will soon begin services to India. The two countries will mutually exempt visa requirements for diplomatic and official passport holders.
- Prime Minister of Rwanda Anastase Murekezi said the MoUs would boost economic and business ties with India.
- In Rwanda, “India- Rwanda Innovation Growth Programme” was launched. According to the program, there would be a technology expo of low- cost innovations of India and 20 Indian technologies and innovations are to be adopted over a period of two years.
- The Vice President along with Rwandan Prime Minister also addressed an India- Rwanda Business Forum.
- Ansari also paid homage at the genocide museum in Kigali and interacted with the Indian community there.