The Kalinga Lancers defeated Dabang Mumbai 4-1 to bag their maiden Hockey India League title in the finals of the fifth edition at the Chandigarh Hockey Stadium on 26 February 2017. Hockey India League was founded in 2013 which consists of six teams. The session lasts for two months from January to February.
Highlights of Hockey India League:
- Skipper Moritz Fuerste (30th, 58th) converted two penalty corners for the Lancers.
- Dabang Mumbai’s Affan Yousuf (33rd) scored the lone goal from a penalty corner variation.
- Glen Turner (18th minute) struck a field effort for the Odisha corner variation.
- In the final of the Hockey India League, Dabang Mumbai was more But Daband Mumbai failed to get past a watchful Andrew Charter in front of Lancers goal.
- In an earlier match, Uttar Pradesh Wizards beat Delhi Waveriders 5-4 to seal the third place.
- The owners of Kalinga Lancers are two industrial giants, namely, Odisha Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IDCO) and Mahanadi Coalfield Limited (MCL). Kalinga Lancers’ captain is Moritz Furste.
- DoIT Sports Management owns Dabang Mumbai. It was founded in 2014. The captain of Dabang Mumbai is Matthew Swann. Hockey India League will now be having its seventh franchise in Bengaluru with JSW Steel Group. This team will enter the fray in 2018, as announced by the league chairman Narinder Batra.