V.K. Sashikala got appointed as the leader of AIADMK on 5th February 2017. Chief Minister O Panneerselvam proposed Sasikala’s name as the leader of the legislature party. He resigned for Sasikala to take over his post. Panneerselvam will be serving as the Deputy Chief Minister.
Facts related to Sasikala and AIADMK:
- If Sasikala is sworn in as chief minister of Tamil Nadu, then she will be the third women chief minister of the state after Janaki Ramachandran and Jayalalithaa.
- Police arrested her along with Jayalalithaa on 7 December 1996 and were kept under judicial custody for 30 days in connection with the Color TV scam.
- On 19th December 2011, Sasikala was expelled from AIADMK.
- Sasikala was appointed the party’s general secretary on 29th December after Jayalalithaa’s demise on 5th December 2016.
- She along with Ilavarasi, her sister-in-law and V.N. Sudhakaran, her nephew was held guilty by the Supreme Court of India on 14 February 2017 for conspiring and acquiring illegal wealth worth about Rs. 66.44 crore.