Shahid Khaqan Abbasi got appointed as the Prime Minister of Pakistan. Pakistan’s ruling party, Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) nominated his name and was elected as the new Prime Minister of Pakistan by the lower house of parliament. He is 58 years old.
Highlights of Shahid Khagan Abbasi Appointment :
- Abbasi acquired a total of 221 votes out of 343-member parliament.
- Nawaz Sharif resigned as Prime Minister of the country following a decision against him on corruption charges by Pakistan’s Supreme Court.
- He resigned on 28 July 2017.
- Since Nawaz Sharif’s brother Shahbaz is not a member of the National Assembly, so PML-N appointed Abbasi as the Interim Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- Until Shahbaz Sharif gets elected to the Parliament and becomes eligible to be the PM, Abbasi will act as the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- About the Panama Papers case, a five-Judge panel of Pakistan Supreme Court in complete agreement ruled to register a case against Nawaz and his family guilty of money laundering.
- According to Supreme Court ruling, Nawaz had not been completely honest to the Parliament and the courts about his employment in a Dubai-based company in his 2013 nomination papers; and so he was unfit for his office.