India became World No1 ODI team by winning series against South Africa.Indian cricket team reclaimed the 1st ODI spot for the third time in six months after defeating South Africa in the fourth ODI at Port Elizabeth on 13th February 2018. They beat South Africa by 73 runs. India had already grabbed the No. 1 spot after it took a 2-0 lead in the series but had to win at least 4 out of 6 matches to retain the rank after series.
India won the series by 5-1. India is also the World no. 1 in Test Cricket and World No. 3 in T20’s. South Africa is now ranked 2nd in both One Day International and Test Cricket.
Key Points in India – South Africa ODI Series:
- The bilateral series win in South African soil is the first ever by any Indian squad till date.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli had a memorable series breaking and making many records. He also reclaimed the No. 1 spot in ICC ODI Batsmen Ranking with his performance.
- He scored 558 runs in the six innings played. 558 runs are the highest runs by any batsmen which achieved during a bilateral ODI series.
- He made three centuries and a fifty. It got him an Average of 186 and Strike Rate of 99.46 which pushed his rating points to 909.
- It is the best rating points ever achieved by any cricketer.
- The bowlers too performed very well with Jasprit Bumrah grabbing the No. 1 spot in the ICC ODI Bowler Rankings. His eight-wicket haul in the series pushed him two notches up.
- Yuzvendra Chahal made his debut in the Top 10 grabbing the 8th place in the ranking. He took 16 wickets against South Africa in the ODI series.
- Kuldeep Yadav with his 17 wickets hauls managed to grab the 15th position in the ICC ODI Bowler Ranking.