Date of Birth: 12 March 1984
Occupation: Playback Singer and Music Producer
Years Active: 1998 – present
Shreya Ghoshal Biography:
Shreya Ghoshal was born in a Bengali Hindu family in Berhampore, Murshidabad district of West Bengal. She was brought up in Rawatbhata, near Kota in Rajasthan. This is where she started learning music at the age of four. She first tasted success after winning the All India Light Vocal Music Competition in Delhi at the sub-junior level.
Before joining the SIES College of Arts, Science, and Commerce in Mumbai she had enrolled in the Atomic Energy Junior College to pursue science. Ghoshal graduated college with a bachelor’s degree in arts with English as her major.
It was in the year 2000 when the sixteen-year-old Ghoshal won the television music reality show Sa Re Ga Ma on the channel Zee TV. She married her childhood friend Shiladitya Mukhopadhyaya on February 5, 2015.
Shreya Ghoshal’s Career and Achievement:
- Before making her Bollywood debut, Shreya Ghoshal had recorded songs in various albums such as Bendhechhi Beena (1998), O Tota Pakhi Re, Ekti Katha (1999) and Mukhor Porag (2000).
- Her first song recorded was the cover version of “Ganraj Rangi Nachato” originally sung by Lata Mangeshkar.
- She made her industry debut with the 2002 hit movie, Devdas directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Ghoshal recorded five songs for the movie, which pushed her into the limelight straight away.
- Apart from Bollywood, Ghoshal has also sung in Tamil and Telugu movies.
Click here to read about great playback singer Mohammed Rafi.
- Shreya Ghoshal has collaborated with many top singers in the country such as Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan, Arijit Singh.
- Other than movies, she also performs in concerts all over the world. Until now she has performed at the Brisbane Convention Center, Dallas Brooks Center in Melbourne, the Sydney Opera House, and Vodafone Events Centre in Auckland.
- In the year 2013, Ghoshal performed at the Sharjah Cricket Association Stadium in the United Arab Emirates.
- She has also appeared as a judge on various television reality shows.
Shreya Ghoshal’s Awards and Achievements:
- Until now Shreya Ghoshal has won four national awards in her career for Best Female Playback Singing.
- Her song, Dola Re from the movie Devdas, earned her, her first Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer.
- So far, in her career, Ghoshal has won six Filmfare awards including one in the category of RD Burman Award for New Music Talent.
- June 26 is celebrated as “Shreya Ghoshal Day” in U.S. state of Ohio. Ghoshal received the highest honor in London by the members of House of Commons of the United Kingdom in April 2013.